Monday, February 19, 2007

Kids And Classical Dance - Part 1

Today I am reminded of my childhood days , when I used to take a short nap after coming back from school and my mother used to wake me up in the evenings for me to go to my Kathak dance classes.I used to feel very lazy and made all kind of excuses.Somehow my mother always managed to coax me, and eventually I used to go with a long face.But once I would start my dance steps, I would feel rejuvenated and would shed all my laziness.

I started my classical dance training at the tender age of five and then onwards it became an obsession and also a stress-buster.I continued till my Guruji died(when I was 15 years old).

This is something I want to share with my readers that classical dancing , be it Indian or Western is an education in itself.The training in classical dance not only teaches the art of dancing, but also the art of living.It endows you with the following qualities:

* Discipline
* Regard for Teacher
* Scientific Nature
* Significance of Practice(Riyaz)
* Graceful Expression
* Exercise
* Stress Buster
* Modesty and Simplicity
I will elaborate on each of these aspects in my next post.

No comments: