Monday, July 12, 2010

What's a Robot??

We just had demo on Robotics at the Mt. Carmel School and had an interesting point to note - kids are more informed about robotics than I am!!!

We had a small talk on what robots are and how they work, and I asked the kids if a fan is a robot. Mostly, the answer was no - it does not have intelligence.

But one kid answered "Ma'am, but it still has intelligence.When we turn the switch on"

Well, he has a point. The fan is intelligent enough to start moving when we turn on the switch.
But this puts us in a dilema, what exactly is a robot?

Joseph Engelberger, a pioneer in industrial robotics, once remarked: "I can't define a robot, but I know one when I see one." (quoted from Wikipedia -did some googling on it)

While we all have our own ways of defining a robot, there is one thing that I am sure - everyone loves robots around them!!!!

No comments: